Montepulciano, city of Etruscan origin, is called the "Pearl of the Fifteenth Century" because it preserves the works by famous Renaissance artists such as Vignola, Sangallo and Peruzzi. Its history is particularly rich in events, especially since the Middle Ages: in fact, at the beginning of the fourteenth century the vitality of Montepulciano, promoted by its enterprising bourgeoisie, made it the subject of the expansionist ambitions of both Florence and Siena. In 1390 Montepulciano finally decided to ally itself firmly with Florence, which was extremely interested in having a strategic stronghold to the south of the territory of the rival Siena. Starting from this moment and until the middle of the sixteenth century, Montepulciano knew its golden age, characterized by political stability, cultural prestige and artistic flowering. This town is also famous for being the birthplace of the poet, humanist and dramatist Poliziano (1454-1494), who had the honour of being called to the court of Lorenzo the Magnificent. Montepulciano, in addition to being so rich in history and wonderful works of art, is also surrounded by a very suggestive landscape, characterized by extensive vineyards that make the town famous for its wines. Viticulture in Montepulciano dates back to Etruscan times, and the production of excellent wines, which was constant throughout the Middle Ages, has continued successfully to this day: the famous Vino Nobile of Montepulciano DOCG is protected by a consortium that brings together all the cellars since 1980.